Roof Repairs vs. Replacement - Which One is Right for You?
As a homeowner, at some point you're going to need a professional roofing company to take care of your repairs or replacement. The trick is knowing which one you need so you don't end up paying or settling for service you don't need.
The first step towards protecting yourself and making sure you get the right service is making sure you hire the right roofer. One you can trust to provide you with honest feedback and quality workmanship.
Getting repairs when you really need replacement will cause some serious issues, and could cause damage to other parts of your home. On the other hand, paying for replacement when you only needed repairs is an unnecessary additional expense.
Making Good Roofing Choices
If you'd like some basic tips to tell if you need roof replacement or just repairs, consider some of these:
- The overall cost of the repairs versus the current value of the roofing system is one way. If your repair costs are more than about 40% of the current worth, it makes more sense to invest in a new roof, altogether.
- Take into consideration the age of the roof, as well. Each roof type has a life expectancy, depending on the level of maintenance you invest into it. If your roof is nearing the end of that life cycle, it makes more sense to replace it than repair it.
- The extent of the damage is another telltale decision maker. A minor leak compared to major hail damage are two different scenarios.
- Are you staying or selling? If you're not planning on staying in the home, repairs may be enough for now. Then again, if you replace the roof now, you can use this as a bargaining tool for the selling negotiations, and avoid having to do it anyway, after a buyer's inspection.
- How energy-efficient is your roofing system? Even if you can salvage your current rooftop with repairs, should you? If your roof is older and just not as energy-efficient as it should be, replacement probably just makes better sense. A more energy-efficient roof and household means lower bills and better Eco-friendliness.
Taking Care of Your Roof With Inspections
One of the best ways to take care of your roof and determine the current condition of your roof is with regular inspections. This is a useful tool because:
- Check Current Condition
- Address Repairs
- Make Adjustments
- Improve Efficiency
- Recover from Storm Damage
Too many homeowners make the mistake of neglecting to get inspections and then end up with the need for emergency repairs. For any service you need from a roofing company in Dallas/Fort Worth, contact Nations Renovations today.